Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bottega Louie- Downtown Los Angeles



Clockwise from upper right- chocolate/coffee creme brulee(or tart? cant' remember), vanilla creme brulee, Lemon meringue tart & chocolate raspberry Napoleon(?).

The dessert display at Bottega Louie always catch my attention so this time, instead of getting their infamous macarons as gifts, I got some treats for myself as well. Agh, the beautiful raspberry on top of puff pastries, creamy creme brulee and the beautiful lemon meringue tart...how could anyone resist it?

Lemon Meringue- Light, airy meringue & the tanginess from the lemon made this the best little treat in this box.

Creme brulee- This good old traditional classic dessert was nice a creamy but it lacked the crunchy(or crispy?) sugar crust on top for textural contrast. Alright, but a boring dessert.

Raspberry chocolate napoleon- Okay, not sure what was wrong with their puff pastry. The pastry was hard unlike the airy & flaky puff pastries I've had in the past. The chocolate was just there for decoration since it doesn't enhance the overall taste or texture for me. The chocolate fillings could've been tasty all by it's own only if it weren't accompanied by that unfit raspberry jam in the middle!! The raspberry jam tasted weird; acidic yes alittle but it does not harmonize the flavors of chocolate fillings in the napoleon and actually made it worst.

Chocolate creme brulee/tart- I have to admit that it was my fault that I didn't eat it on the same day instead, I saved it for the lunch next day. BAD idea! The tart did not taste fresh, had a bitter but somewhat acidic taste to it...and it looked like there were molds growing on it already?? It could've been problem with my eyes that made me think there were molds but com'n! the taste and the mold just go together. To the trash it goes.

The shell/tart base they've used as a container for the brulees/tart tasted flour-y that I could care less about.

Overall, just stick to their macarons, there are definitely rooms for improvements on the rest of the item in that glass display case...!

No comments: