Sunday, May 8, 2011

Diary 1, my passion for food




Felt a bit sentimental today as an old friend and I met up and chat about our lives. We haven't seen each other for years but we felt free to have an intimate conversation about our families, relationship and most importantly, the loss of our most beloved parent. It's not easy for me to talk about what happened as I was very traumatized and still today, even though it was 4 years ago. She too, feels the same way. Recovery road takes time. I've inherited this wonderful hobby of traveling to places to eat..even if it takes 40-50 minute drive each way. This is a gifted genes from my parents, mainly my beloved and respected father, who passed away 4 years ago while I was on the flight back to Asia to visit him. I didn't even had a chance to say goodbye. I thought they were coming to pick me up from the airport but instead, it was my aunt..dressed in all black who broke the news to us 10 minutes before we arrived home. I knew it was coming, I knew it. My father suffered from Type II diabetes for almost 30 years and his condition has worsen in his late years due to stress and sadness.

My father loved food as much as I did. He would buy a plane ticket and fly to taipei just for a bowl of comforting soup. I too, would do the same. Nothing heals better than food. Every time when I savor delicatcies all over LA, I just wish that I could share it with him...til every last bite.

No comments: