Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mini cucumbers



It is the season of mini cucumbers and the only thing I can think of besides pickling it is to marinate it and prepare it as a cold dish. Mini cucumbers are really flavorful and crispier ( I think) than the regular size cucumbers you get in the supermarkets. I still love regular size cucumbers tho, don't get me wrong, but mini cucumbers is what I ate when I was growing up and I guess it has to do with it that made it so good.
I cut the cucumbers into 2" long and 3/4" wide strips so it'll stay crunchy inside while soaking up the marinates. I had some small red chilis on hand so I throw in about 2 chilis and a large clove of garlic (maybe 1 tsp-2tsp?). I then add sesame oil, soy sauce, black pepper, sugar, salt, rice wine vinegar and mirin. I love sesame seeds so I added a handful of those...probably about 1 tbsp or 2. However, I forgot to toast them and I think the flavors would have improved.

Overall, this is still a great, tasty cold dish that I can munch on it all day because the longer it sits the better it'll taste! And because it's not sliced, it's still crunchy in the center and refreshing as always!

No comments: